[lively-kernel] Sencha

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Jun 26 16:44:49 CEST 2010

On 26.06.2010, at 16:31, Steve Wart wrote:

> Licensing looks complicated, but it seems they've specifically tried to make it compatible with non-GPL projects. Is BSD the same as MIT?

They list MIT as one of the compatible licenses, so no problem there:
http://www.sencha.com/products/ux-exception.php

> But then I'm confused about the $219 developer license.

That only applies if you want to use it for non-open source apps:
http://www.sencha.com/company/dual.php

> Should be fun to play with though. There's also http://www.phonegap.com/ which is not a UI framework, but they provide a Javascript API to some of the more proprietary device features (e.g. camera and accelerometer) -- it's for local deployment, not web-based, but it's just serving up local resources from your device.
>
> One nice thing about these guys is they provide simulators for a variety of mobile devices. The simulator code is also open-source.

I tried the Sencha "kitchen sink" demo on both iPad and iPhone. Impressive. It indeed feels very close to a native application.

- Bert -