[lively-kernel] Lively and Bazaar

Fabian Bornhofen fbornhofen at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 27 20:49:30 CEST 2011

Hi Keith,

I just managed to check out the repository with git and then push it
to fbornhofen/lively-core on github:

git svn init http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/kernel/
git svn fetch
git svn rebase
git remote add origin git at github.com:fbornhofen/lively-core.git
git push -u origin master

This should be very similar to the way you did it with bzr and lp, right?
I'm not familiar with bzr. It seems to have a couple of technical
advantages over git. The reason I'm favoring git at the moment is
github. People tend to ask whether your project is on github when they
learn that you're doing interesting open source stuff. An then, the
cool thing about DVCS is that you can have lots and lots of
repositories .. I'd love to try Launchpad as well.

I totally agree that we need another name for 'kernel'. 'Core' sounds
a lot better.
The thing is, it's not that easy to move things around quickly. There
is still a lot of stuff in the repo that heavily relies on the current
Webwerkstatt deployment. This needs to be cleaned up, but I feel that
this can happen gradually.

What's good is that things are moving forward and that we're gaining
momentum. Let's keep it up.

Fabian