[lively-kernel] Code reorganization in Webwerkstatt

Keith P. Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 28 03:12:18 CEST 2011

This is what I came up with so far.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~keithy/lively/unstable/files

The top level that you are calling "core", I call it "unstable", to become "stable", but is intended to be published as the base release lp:lively

The distribution includes folders with "parts" and "users" (though empty or with a simple examples, a la playgrounds) I also expect to see a "documentation" folder somewhere, though that could be included as a user.

The main codebase, stripped of "parts" and "users", I have called "base".

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~keithy/lively/unstable/files/head:/base/

Within "base", I pulled the config out into "base/config"

Anything vaguely module like is in "base/modules"  (alt. idea "library")

The main.c startup and core, is in "base/main" (alt. ideas "kernel" - over used now)

Anything looking vaguely as if it is on its way out is in base/OBSOLETE.

In order to enable modules to be distributed as a single directory/checkout

This pattern
ide.js
ide/*.js

is now

ide/+init.js   "the + puts the file nicely at the top of the list"
ide/*.js

And following this style...

Main.js is now ./base/main/+main.js

any thoughts, feedback would be gratefully received... nothing works theres a fair bit of renaming to propagate.

Keith