[lively-kernel] Code reorganization in Webwerkstatt - please check your js files

Robert Krahn robert.krahn at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 07:40:06 CEST 2011

Hi, Fabian --

you are absolutely right on this, getting rid of specifying manually what code to load had several advantages. On the one hand you can start Lively with little code (=kernel) which allows faster booting. With the combinedModules approach you still only require one request to load the kernel. Even browser caching plays nicely with it (we provide a combinedModuleHash that tells the browser when to reload). This increased the load time of Lively tremendously.

Also the idea of having a more or less continuously running live system works better if you can easily load code on demand and specify requirements. This is exactly what the current module system does.

Best,
Robert