[lively-kernel] CodeDB plans?

Fabian Bornhofen fbornhofen at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 28 19:33:15 CEST 2011

Hi,

Marko, Lauritz and I wanted to skype about CodeDB earlier this week,
but why not let everyone participate in this discussion ... so here we
go.

I have a couple of questions beyond "what's the progress", especially
regarding version control.
1) Do you have any plans yet for doing distributed development with
that (distributed as in several deployments)? On a single site, I
expect the workflow to be similar to the one in ENVY/Developer.
2) Will there be a package format and if so, how can these be shared?

Then, I saw that you, Marko, put a description of document schemas in
the wiki (http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/projects/CodeDB2/info_documents.xhtml).
I think that gives us an idea about where this is going, and I think
it's awesome.
Now these schemas look structured enough to save them in a relational
database. I'm not indicating that this is a great idea, but you can
guess what company might be interested in that.
Hence my question is
3) does CodeDB run completely inside CouchDB, and if so, what will the
interface look like? You'd probably POST these code entities to some
RESTful route (rather than posting complete files)?
I'm wondering if you could easily put those objects into an RDBMS
(trivially, you could, but you sort of want to preserve the schema in
that case).

As I said, I'm very excited about this.

Cheers,