[lively-kernel] Lively Dashboard

Daniel Ingalls danhhingalls at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 00:31:31 CEST 2011

Folks -

It's great to have our discussions back in the mail list, and especially to see some outside interest.  I think it's going to be an awesome autumn!

Now that we are focusing a bit more on social enablement of our project, I have an idea for an artifact that might enhance everyone's spirit of participation.  It's...

     * THE LIVELY DASHBOARD *

We already have a number of useful and almost-useful tools for viewing the progress of our community.  I think it would be really exciting to assemble these all on a single page.  Consider the following assembled gestalt:

	Recent events (eg, a list of recent talks or other presentations, with dates)
	Other related news (public mention of Lively, or things like the Dart announcement)
	Tweets or Facebook mentions of note

	Bug reports, posted and fixed
	Feature requests, posted and done
	All recent system changes
	All recent wiki changes

	New subscribers to mail list / also unsubscribers
	Changes to Lively communities on Facebook, Twitter, etc.

	Personal status, as in "working on Git port" "building a Lively Dashboard", etc
		(These might no be needed if the rest works well enough)

	New (or improved) apps or other fun things in the parts bin(s)
	Active projects list (links to project pages)
		[If these are sorted by write date, it would motivate us to update
		project pages whenever we make progress]

I'm imagining that many of these are scrollable time-sorted lists so you only see the
most recent activity, but it's easy to explore more right there.  Also I'm imagining that
items from the last day or two might be highlighted in color.

I also can't imagine it without some cool live graphic that gets changed from time to time.

Whaddya think?

   - D