[lively-kernel] CodeDB plans?

Roeder, Marko Marko.Roeder at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Oct 31 10:56:41 CET 2011

I'm wondering if you could easily put those objects into an RDBMS
(trivially, you could, but you sort of want to preserve the schema in
that case).

Well, it definitely is not :-p but those schemas are very "unstable" right now. There are still a lot of changes but we try to keep this document up-to-date.
What makes CouchDB (as database) so unique is that it is application server and database in one. So "obvious parts" of a world/part/module file can be omitted and Javascript/XHTML files can be created "on-the-fly" using CouchDB's Shows and Lists (http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Formatting_with_Show_and_List) while writing changes/code to the database really just contains the "clean" code.
But a Node.JS server might to the same after querying a RDBMS...

Besides that, storing a JSON serialization (worlds, parts) in a JSON-based (document-oriented) database makes it possible to do some analysis on those serialization (very easy with CouchDB), e.g. local code "extraction", reference/usage counting, ...

I still believe CouchDB has some extraordinary features that make it the right database (if any at all) to put source code/the Lively Kernel in.

- Marko