[General] [Ann] Lively kernel 0.8 is out!

ALT Mobile DEV dev at altmobile.com
Thu Feb 7 02:44:20 CET 2008

Hi,

I think that there may be some confusion as to the intent of LK...
perhaps mine. Despite Dan's hallowed past, LK does not intend to
create a new runtime/VM. LK's stated intent is to program the browser
using the browser's environment sans plug-ins (if possible). "Zero" as
in zero install. So that's the browser's JavaScript with a few 3rd
party libraries such as Prototype.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but the most successful implementation
of Caja is on Google's servers to provide a sandboxed runtime for
widget/gadget execution. The Apache implementation seems to follow
this server-side pre-processing approach.

Comparisons to the Squeak's runtime are not relevant since LK does not
propose to create a runtime.

LK has every chance to fundamentally change browser programming. With
Sun almost betting Java's future on JavaFX, I think that LK just might
be the technology to establish Sun as the preeminent browser
programming vendor and finally compete with Flash on the desktop. And
once the Opera desktop engine is fully ported to its mobile browser
next year that will mean that LK becomes the de-facto standard for all
browser programming.

So unlike in the Smalltalk and Java worlds where you build almost
everything from scratch, LK has to rely on other technologies for its
success since at it's core LK is just a JavaScript library with an SVG
UI toolkit (and some cool networking stuff in the future).

I'd appreciate any corrections to my understanding of LK and Caja
since as a mash-up vendor we are exploring Caja's potential and are
already developing for LK.

thanks for making this an open forum.

--Zaid

ALT Mobile