[General] A few thoughts on LK's future

Axel Rauschmayer axel at rauschma.de
Thu Feb 21 18:07:25 CET 2008

Lively Kernel (LK) is a really exciting project! I think the
Javascript language is already very interesting and will be even more
so in the future, so it is a good place to be.

Here are a few thoughts on LK's potential. Have any of these points
been considered, yet?

- Ecmascript 4: This version feels like a "good-enough" mix of Lisp,
Dylan, Smalltalk, Self, while it is bound to have the same amount of
broad tool support that Java currently enjoys. It will also
inevitably run on the JVM. Two consequences arise for LK: (1) If its
language extensions mimick ES4, a transition will be easier later.
(2) Soon LK will have the option of being a desktop environment (when
hosted on the JVM).

- Client/server programming: My guess is that LK could be the ideal
distributed environment. You would implement your application in LK
and then decide which parts stay on the server (JVM-hosted?) and
which parts stay on the client.

- Look and feel: What still puts me slightly off Morphic is that it
is non-standard. This does not mean that I particularly like how the
Mac OS or Windows do their thing, but it is still standardized enough
that you can easily switch between them (or even between them and
Gnome or KDE for that matter). I think it would be both a practical
and a marketing advantage to emulate these operating systems as much
as is reasonable.

Thanks for your time,

Axel Rauschmayer

--