[General] Radius zooming

Richard Karpinski dick at cfcl.com
Thu Jan 31 20:44:56 CET 2008

Antero Taivalsaari wrote a lovely paper, The Event Horizon User
Interface Model For Small Devices, about a new kind of zooming system
involving compress/expand access to unlimited amounts of information
pushed into or pulled out of a central (white) hole on a small
display such as a Palm Pilot.

The way it works seems to suggest that no document can exceed a
quarter of the screen at any one time which is a serious limitation
in my mind. And it uses compress and expand keys which are operated
for a duration which has the problems of velocity versus
displacement. Further, although every item can eventually be seen,
using this one dimensional access, two dimensional motion is also
required sometimes.

My notion of an auto-zooming world can be elaborated to include those
benefits and rather more as well. Let the top of the world contain
one or more white holes contained in visible circles. Once you
navigate across that boundary, lets use zooming and dedicate a zoom
wheel (displacement) to compress and expand from the hole while
leaving the cursor centered. Then we can navigate to any visible
object with the effect that the world zooms in to the right level to
read and operate on that content.

I will leave other feature for future discussions.

Richard Karpinski, Nitpicker       dick at cfcl.com
148 Sequoia Circle, Santa Rosa, CA 95401
Home +1 707-546-6760     Cell +1 707-228-9716
http://cfcl.com/twiki/bin/view/Friends/Karpinski/WebHome

ps Put (or leave) "nitpicker" in the subject line to get past my spam
filters.