[General] Safari 4 Crashing: A Patch

Philip Weaver philmaker at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 13:00:57 CEST 2009

The crash is related to the value returned from String.fromCharCode(173). In
Lively and in a simple html file: console.log prints nothing visible for the
character and window.alert prints a character. This displayed character
resembles a minus symbol. I haven't found an ascii table yet which indicates
what this is supposed to represent.

Tracked this down via computeExtents[Config.fontMetricsFromHTML] in
Text.js. I attempted to do some detections on the text node and try/catch
but was unsuccessful. Have not reported anything to Apple - feel free.

String.fromCharCode = String.fromCharCode.wrap(function(proceed, charCode) {
var result = proceed(charCode);
if (charCode == 173) {
 result = '-';
}