[General] Some success with Chrome

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at Sun.com
Tue Apr 14 23:22:21 CEST 2009

>I looked into the Chrome difficulties a bit, and while I can't explain the exact cause, I was able to successfully load and run the trunk SVN kernel.  The key was to substitute the "bleeding-edge" prototype.js for the miniprototype.js that is currently there.  I got the latest prototype.js from http://www.prototypejs.org/assets/2009/3/27/prototype.js.
>
>Hope this helps.
>Phil Issler

Yayy, Phil -- Fantastic!

I have made this substitution in the repository for now so that we can easily test on Chrome.  I will replace with a mini version as soon as I can pare it down again in a way that works (we use less than 13k of the full 140k prototype.js).

Regarding Chrome, just about everything seems happy except text borders, and this has been the case all along.  As I test this, it seems that all bordered objects treat borderWidth of 0 as borderWidth 1.  However borderWidth = 0.01 does the right thing, so I will probably put in a Chrome patch for this.

There is also something wrong with Chrome's treatment of gradients in SVG, as you can see the edge of the damage rectangles if you move the mouse over them.

While Chrome does not support text in canvas yet, the text-less display appears to be identical to Safari 3's text-less canvas, so the compatibility omens are good.

It's good to have you with us (Phil just joined the mail list), and MANY thanks for this tip!

	- Dan