[General] More Good News / Call to Action

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at Sun.com
Wed Mar 25 21:11:57 CET 2009

We have just cleared the Lively Kernel for release under the...

	MIT license

Yayyy!

It is our intent now to wrap it all in a shiny new package with
canvas support, namespaces, wiki work, end-user programming
frameworks, the great JavaFX experiment, and maybe even a bit of
documentation(*).

	We need your help

At one time or another, the Lively Kernel has run more or less in
Safari, Firefox, Opera and even Internet Explorer and a JavaFX
applet.  And now there are both SVG and Canvas versions as well. We
need your help testing, locating and, ideally, fixing whatever bugs
may affect Lively Kernel on each of these platforms.  We are not so
interested in problems which can be fixed simply by getting a more
recent version of the same browser, except that we would publish them
as known problems.  But we are interested in such issues as command
keys don't work, screen size is wrong, it crashes, etc.

Our goal is for this release to present all the good stuff we've
done, in a form that runs on as many browsers as possible, on as many
OS's as possible, in as many countries as possible.

The two files to test are the normal and canvas versions of our
latest sources...

	http://livelykernel.sunlabs.com/repository/lively-kernel/trunk/source/kernel/index.xhtml
and
	http://livelykernel.sunlabs.com/repository/lively-kernel/trunk/source/kernel/expt.xhtml

Note that the system browser (world menu / tools) will allow you to
view the entire code base.  If you wish to help with bugs, then
either send us what you think to be a fix, or contact us regarding
write access to our repository.

Please send your testing results and suggested fixes, either to me or
to the list, and I will collect these in a status report and punch
list of items remaining before we make the release.

Thanks all

	- Dan, for the LK team

(*) If you have developed any useful documentation (such as where in
the sourcefiles to find various things, etc), please feel free to
pass those along, and we'll try to fold them into the Wiki and any
other documentation that we assemble for the release.  Thanks in
advance for that too.