[General] Intro and two questions

Owen Densmore owen at backspaces.net
Sat Mar 28 17:49:33 CET 2009

Hi, I'm a newbie here, and will be taking a GLASS (Gemstone Linux
Apache Seaside Smalltalk) workshop next week at the Santa Fe Complex.
   http://sfcomplex.org/wordpress/2009/03/glass

Dave West, who's sponsoring the workshop, suggested we look at several
object technologies, including Squeak and LK.

This brings up two questions:

1 - What is the relationship between Squeak and LK?  For example, can
Squeak on a server "talk" to a browser on a client?  Does it somehow
integrate into Squeak?

2 - Javascript needs care in handling .. Doug Crockford's nifty book
Javascript, the Good Parts, along with his website:
   http://javascript.crockford.com/
.. strongly suggests Javascript, when handled correctly, forms a very
good object platform.  But the trick is building up the subset of the
language that is useful and safe, and finding the right patterns of
use that makes it "Squeak-Lite".

So the question is: have you a document showing how to use Javascript
as you did building LK? How to build a nifty object system out of
Javascript?  It certainly is a surprising language when you take a
close look.

     -- Owen

Owen Densmore        http://backspaces.net
http://redfish.com   http://sfcomplex.org