[General] IE9 will support life? -and some Java progress

Peter Fraser pfraser at spatialmedia.com
Mon Nov 23 13:33:54 CET 2009

Hi Livelies

1. Is it just my imagination or is MS getting serious about IE?  A new
VM (with radical new innovations -like tagged integers!) and a new
graphics stack on DirectX.  I never thought it would happen (at least
not yet,  I expected they would keep back-pedalling on IE to give
Silverlight room).  The only missing piece from an LK perspective is
what graphics api they will provide (surely they will have to provide
something to replace vml -be it canvas?,svg?,xaml?).

Maybe this "browser as general platform" idea has got some legs after
all :-)

2. Java progress

A Batik powered applet that runs SVG/javascript turns out to be
trivial.  There is even an example in the source distribution, and after
a fashion, with a number of issues that I haven't looked at, and with a
snappy start time of about 8 minutes  -it runs LK.

an example can be coaxed into almost-life at the URL below:

http://www.spatialmedia.com/lively/batik85r1/demo.html

Pete F