[lively-kernel] Lively Audio

Dan Ingalls danhhingalls at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 06:14:15 CEST 2010

Hi, Alex -

>Not sure what Chris meant, but you could generate the contents of a
>midi file in memory, then feed those bytes (after
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uuencoding>uuencoding) to your
>platform's midi player (w/ the embed tag). Here's an
>example: <http://tinlizzie.org/ometa-js/#Etude>http://tinlizzie.org/ometa-js/#Etude
>
>I doubt this approach would be useful for real-time stuff like
>making sounds come out of your keyboard morph, but it's definitely
>worth knowing about.

Definitely, and I remember getting this close once before.

The real question is :  Do you know if midi players allow a note to
be started in one file and ended in another?  This would allow
key-down and key-up events to come in real time from the keyboard.  I
would make this work if the answer is yes.

Thanks
	- Dan