[lively-kernel] Challenge

Philip Weaver philmaker at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 01:29:29 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 1:45 AM, a Lively Kernel user wrote:

This project is funded by the Hasso Plattner Institut and that is good
thing, a very good thing. But I think it would be strange to fund the Hasso
Plattner Institut that is funding the lively kernel? (May be in the US that
is not uncommon.)

I think there should be created Lively projects that could then  be funded
individuallly and mostly independent of the Institute. And if you think
about funding by individuals there should  be a Paypal account on the Lively
page.

Lively kernel is not so well known in the professional circles and the
Hacker community.. May be some CS experts know that project and I know there
are some presentations on congresses. (But who is reading proceedings beside
some PHD students?) I think there should be more done in advertising, say
write articles in journals with some illustrative experiments read by
"normal" users. And last but not least I miss the vision. Well, there is the
lively factory, but where is the vision for the common user? Funds come with
interest in the particular project.