[lively-kernel] How to make seaside serve LK?

Robert Krahn robert.krahn at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Sat Jun 26 18:23:03 CEST 2010

Hi, Lawson --

If you only want to process certain requests with Seaside it is not necessary to serve the LK files with it because Apache is much better suited doing this.

Example:
A while ago we created a simple chat app: http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/BWINF/chat-prototype.xhtml

Lively is still run by Apache but under http://lively-kernel.org/web-collab-squeak we process POST requests to implement the chat's login/logout/broadcasting logic. The URL is transformed by a Apache proxy rule so that it reaches the Squeak server ("ProxyPass /web-collab-squeak http://localhost:8080"). By the way, in Squeak we didn't use Seaside but the good old KomHttpServer (Andreas Raab's WebClient framework would now probably be a good alternative) since Seaside would be overkill for such a simple task.

Best,
Robert