[lively-kernel] Parts and tools review

Davide Della Casa davidedc at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 15:06:13 CET 2011

Hi,

I wanted to add to your list of possible users and 'markets' and a couple more comments.

(I've used "Lively" only briefly, so I might be missing out on pieces of conversation that make my suggestion here obvious or redundant)

One potential market is data visualisation. Since most data comes from the web anyways, Lively is in a good position. Probably a variation of what you list as "mashups". A great example of "rich web environment" that makes it possible to interact with data is http://impure.com/ by Bestiario. The whole work of Bestiario is around similar data presentation themes, so well worth a look: http://bestiario.org/

Also I have a couple of other points, first one being that I think it would be a good idea to get computer artists to play with Lively, and expose their work in a "gallery" page. Similarly to what we have done in sketchpatch here: http://www.sketchpatch.net/Featured_Sketches.html . Artists's passion is to create interesting content no matter what - they'll be happy to participate. (I'd look for variety in this case, not for clever technical demos with bunnies, light sources and teapots. Something crazy like glitch art or the works of Rafael Rozandaal http://www.newrafael.com/ ).

The second point is much more banal - a simple installation process would really help. I know it's in the works http://www.lively-kernel.org/trac/browser/releases/Lively2/install.txt?rev=5826 so it's OK (I did install Lively on my previous laptop and succeeded btw, but I don't have the time to re-attempt in new laptop).

Last point - I think you could benefit from an evil UX overlord. Temporarily. Maybe a couple of UX sprints. I see that lively is transforming for the better and finding its own voice, but right now there are many places where basic navigation experience feels "punishing" to a first user. For example most times I get a message "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" even if I didn't touch anything. Many screens assume that one has a huge monitor: http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/documentation/overview.xhtml or the PartsBin as well. Or there seems to be a huge amount of margin in some of the pages http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/webwerkstatt.xhtml . There is no top-level navigation on most screens.

I'm no UX expert, but you might want to create a "seed" page, a perfect UX "seed" page that sets the golden standard, and around which a crystal of pages can grow. Like, the http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/webwerkstatt.xhtml page with a navigation menu and no extra margin would be perfect (I'd change the title to the a less arcane "Lively Wiki", myself).

Cheers,
Davide Della Casa
http://www.sketchpatch.net