[lively-kernel] horrible download speeds for LK website

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Thu Feb 10 01:04:47 CET 2011

OK, the most recent version goes much faster than the version accesible
from the home page of the website.

And the speed of access via a local file is reasonable.

Background: in a discussion of how to improve the user interface of the
second life client viewer, I suggested that they use lively kernel
rendered into their existing OpenGL user interface layer using WebKit,
which is already part of the SL client.

The challenge: someone claimed that GUIs done with a web browser were
too primitive to be able to handle the Second LIfe viewer's needs, e.g.,
a Macintosh finder-like window with a list of nested folders and items
with simple icons next tot he names.

Can someone tell me how to create such a thing in LK? I'm sure its
trivial, but I don't see quite how to begin.

Thanks.