[lively-kernel] Nitro?

Dan Ingalls danhhingalls at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 08:29:54 CET 2011

Hi Alan -

When I compare JS in Safari and Squeak native on my Mac (an old-ish
2.4 GHz core duo) I get:

Squeak native: 542M bytecodes/sec; 12.5M sends/sec
Cog native: 531M bytecodes/sec; 41M sends/sec
JS in Safari: 1000M ops/sec; 33M sends/sec
JS in Chrome: 4260M ops/sec; 49M sends/sec

My Safari is 5.0.4, from around January.  I believe it has the Nitro
VM, but I'm not positive.
The Chrome is version 10.0.648.133

I designed the JS benchmark to compare JS and browser speeds, not to
compare against Squeak.  We'd have to take some care with exactly how
I did this before attributing a lot of significance.  I believe the
sends are exactly comparable, but the 'ops' vs 'bytecodes' I'm not
sure about.

It would appear that JS in the browsers is roughly the same speed as
native Squeak at this point.

	- Dan