[lively-kernel] Code reorganization in Webwerkstatt - please check your js files

Fabian Bornhofen fbornhofen at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 26 02:10:11 CEST 2011

Hi -

as mentioned earlier, we want to simplify code distribution.
As a first step, we are going to reorganize some files in Webwerkstatt and
move the core code from /repository/webwerkstatt to
/repository/webwerkstatt/kernel.

To keep your worlds running, we will run a script on all xhtml files in
Webwerkstatt that changes the path to bootstrap.js. For most worlds, you
will not notice any difference. If you have never written a Lively
JavaScript module on your own,   then most probably you do not need take any
action.

However, if any of your worlds have dependencies on other js files (e.g. js
files in your home folder), please check references to these paths.
Config.codeBase will be /repository/webwerkstatt/kernel instead of
/repository/webwerkstatt. Paths relative to Config.codeBase therefore should
be fixed (typically with another '../' at the beginning).

We want to apply and commit our changes to Webwerkstatt on early Thursday
morning (Oct 27, 1 a.m. CEST or Oct 26 4 p.m. Pacific Time).

Please contact Lauritz or me if you have any questions or if you need
assistance.

Rationale:
We want to create a repository of the minimum set of files that is needed
for running the Lively Kernel. This could be hosted on Github, Launchpad, or
elsewhere. By centralizing these files in Webwerkstatt (which is effectively
our upstream repository right now), it will be possible to check them out as
a Subversion submodule that can be kept in sync with other version control
systems.

Regards,
Fabian