[lively-kernel] Local installation of Lively Core from Github: some notes, questions, and errors

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 03:08:14 CET 2012

Hi:

Finally I managed to put together a script that installs a localhost
based LivelyKernel and LivelyWiki (one flavour of Linux only) - based
on various previous installs such as Fabian's Lively2 install, the
LivelyKernel git, this mailing list help etc (thanks!).

The installer loads all required OS packages (apache, git, nodejs,
git, svn and dependencies), gets LivelyKernel from the git repo,
installs all nodejs packages, creates the Apache LK configurations
including dav-svn and authentication modules, adjusts permissions,
creates the SVN repo for  LivelyWiki etc etc and starts Apache when
done. It does give me a working repeatable installation :) It does
everything automatically, except the last bit of bootstraping
PartsBin, I could not figure out how to automate that part.

If it may be of any use to anyone it is attached - but I think the
most important point it makes, is that Apache installation is the same
pain as 15 years ago (increased with DAV, and dav-svn  of course), and
partly for that reason it is hard for a new person not ready to spend
significant time to go through creating a personal, at the same time
somewhat world shareable (authentication) LivelyKernel and LivelyWiki.
 At least for the personal install it will be great to replace the
need for Apache + dav svn with something simpler (as I think Fabian
and maybe others are working on. I will check that next :) )

Thanks for all help along the way here

Milan