[lively-kernel] Local installation of Lively Core from Github: some notes, questions, and errors

Fabian Bornhofen fbornhofen at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 10 03:18:51 CET 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 4:21 AM, Lawson English <lenglish5 at cox.net> wrote:
> Actually, I was thinking in more simplistic terms of simply a one-click
> localhost install of the current version of LK. Versioning and so on wasn't
> what I was concerned with. Having to set up apache, etc., in order to simply
> play with LK seems to be a rather larger hurdle to expect people to overcome
> just to play with a private sandbox.

I completely agree.
At this point, we would need a WebDAV HTTP server in Squeak in order
to make Lively run from a one-click Squeak image. If you know such a
server, please let us know.

Technically, WebDAV is only a design decision. We might want to
decouple our tools from DAV and think of a simpler protocol for Lively
installations that do not need DAV SVN versioning.

WebDAV is pretty awesome the moment it works, but getting there can be painful.

Best,
Fabian