[General] Good News: Canvas Port

Daniel Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at Sun.com
Tue Mar 24 23:49:47 CET 2009

Folks -

We have just put together a port of The Lively Kernel that uses the
Canvas graphics API instead of SVG.  This means potentially better
browser support and potentially better performance, though neither is
the case yet.  We hope you will enjoy helping us to debug this port.
You can find it at...

	http://livelykernel.sunlabs.com/repository/lively-kernel/trunk/source/kernel/expt.xhtml

... but you need to be running the latest WebKit or MineField, or
possibly Chrome or Safari 4 beta.

Almost all the graphics works at this point, but there is one
remaining hole in the implementation.  Up to now, we have been using
the serialization support in the SVG DOM to save Lively state on web
pages.  In order to save our state without this SVG support, it will
be necessary to add a serialization / deserialization package that
uses another mechanism such as, eg, JSON.  This could be a lot of fun
for one of our braver community members (ahem).

Try it out.

Tell us about problems.

... and have fun!

	- Dan