[General] Good News: Canvas Port

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Wed Mar 25 07:46:49 CET 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:49 PM, Daniel Ingalls <Dan.Ingalls at sun.com> wrote:
> Folks -
>
> We have just put together a port of The Lively Kernel that uses the
> Canvas graphics API instead of SVG.  This means potentially better

cool :-)

> the serialization support in the SVG DOM to save Lively state on web
> pages.  In order to save our state without this SVG support, it will
> be necessary to add a serialization / deserialization package that
> uses another mechanism such as, eg, JSON.  This could be a lot of fun
> for one of our braver community members (ahem).

To be honest I haven't worked much with Lively, but done a lot of
serialization work ;-)

If not put into SVG anymore, how does state manifest itself in the new version?
Is all state available in the lively objects or would one need to
intercept the Canvas calls to capture the state?
I could image that some state is now in code e.g. by drawing something
with explicit values that are not kept in any variable.

Cheers

Michael