[lively-kernel] Time for another run at the fence?

Philip Weaver philmaker at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 09:23:43 CEST 2010

This response is rough because I'm busy moving until later in the week. I
hope I'll be able to resubmit a more considered response later this week...

   - What excites you about the Lively Kernel?

- the malleability of the environment: sculpting instead of "writing code"
- the potential for a cleanly implemented web stack, and the flexibility to
be able to use alternatives to HTML and CSS.

   - How much time do you currently put into LK?

I put in more than 1000 coding hours last spring creating demos, reporting
bugs, fixing bugs, experimenting with polish in Lively. Had a great time!
The coding I currently do with Lively is lottery analysis for the purpose of
funding to help accelerate adoption with promotion, fund contests, hire
additional designers (including myself).

   - How much time do you think you could put into LK if you got fired up?

Finding a small grant or winning the lottery would fire me up. Then I would
work with Lively 8+ hours most every day. (I am not really trying to be
amusing here.) :-)

   - What are the top 3 or 4 things you would like to do for LK ?

- create a demo project which mimics a typical slick vertically scrolling
webpage and illustrate how it's more malleable than using HTML and CSS.
(rollover link effects, rollover menu effects, etc. )
- create documentation for Lively ENTIRELY as code examples and snippets and
integrate with the ide
- enhance and polish the ide. Jens and Robert are doing amazing work but
much more usability and polish are needed for me to want to switch to using
the ide.
- there's more stuff: these may not be my top three: I'll need to revisit.

   - What are the top 3 or 4 things you would like someone else to do for
   LK?

       (Dan I need to come back to these : I do like the one's you have
listed...)
       Get collaboration (multiple Morphic hands) working
       Add a nice database interface (JSON/Java based: dovetaildb,
persevere, etc.)
       Separate the Canvas and SVG layers and make Canvas fast
       Remove LK's dependence on XML in favor of JSON
       Create a wikipedia entry for Lively

   - Any other random comments you'd like to make, or links to share?

About me: Two significant influences on my software career and creative
skills: 1. performing magic as a child 2. English studies in college
instilled how to compose clean, disciplined, pretty code. I am an author.

Random comment: LK could use a benefactor.

More later,
Philip Weaver