[lively-kernel] Contributing source code to the Lively Kernel

Adam Spitz adam.spitz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 18:16:30 CEST 2010

Jens Lincke wrote:

> Hi,  Adam
>
> indeed you changed the code of the wiki with the system browser :-)
> ( http://www.lively-kernel.org/repository/lively-wiki/lively/)
>
> r19492 | AdamSpitz | 2010-04-14 16:49:34 +0200 (Mi, 14 Apr 2010) | 2 lines
> Autoversioning commit:  a non-deltaV client made a change to
> /lively/Base.js

Cool! And I'm sorry. :) I've reverted a couple of the changes I made,
but I might have made one or two more, and I don't even remember what
file they might be in. Is there a way for me to find them?

I think it's awesome that (in the Smalltalk and wiki tradition)
everything is editable by anybody. But I'd suggest adding some sort of
clear warning that I'm hopping a fence. And a way to delay the actual
fileout until I'm ready. My expectation was that (like in Smalltalk)
by mucking around inside the image I might be able to crash my image,
but I wouldn't be screwing up the code in the official repository
until I actually hit some button labelled "File Out" or something. I
was definitely not expecting each individual method to be filed out as
soon as I hit "accept changes." (What if I'm not sure my changes will
work? I want to play with them in the image until I'm confident that
they work, and *then* save them.)

Adam