[lively-kernel] Newbie, a few questions

Robert Krahn robert.krahn at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Jul 2 00:22:01 CEST 2010

> Can I run my dev environment totally self contained i.e. without relying on a server to persist my "worlds" ?
You can run lively worlds without a server by just opening the xhtml files in a browser. For persisting changes you need at least a tiny server part that supports the WebDAV interface.

> If so how do I do that ? i.e. what docs do I read to accomplish that.
Setting up an apache server is shown here: http://lively-kernel.org/other/livelyInstallMac.mov
(Works when the server is online again).

That said, our proposed way to interact with Lively is to use the wiki (e.g. http://www.lively-kernel.org/repository/lively-wiki/sandbox/sandbox.xhtml).

Experimental: http://lively-kernel.org/repository/lively-wiki/users/robertkrahn/rk-stExample.xhtml

> Are there already classes, frameworks for database connectivity ?
Just for CouchDB.

> Any examples of a form based app with transmission to an http servlet ? I'm trying to get the entire roundtrip picture of how one could bulld an app with user interactivity including persistence.
Example chat application.
Client side: http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/robert/chatNodeJs.xhtml
Server side: see attachement (uses Node.js)