[lively-kernel] First steps with Lively Sound

Daniel Ingalls danhhingalls at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 09:20:04 CET 2012

Folks -

I finally found a simple sound interface that promises to work for Chrome and Firefox, and to invoke Flash in other cases.

	https://github.com/grantgalitz/XAudioJS

I have a test page working now (in Chrome only) that is capable of generating samples on the fly from my PianoKeyboard morph.

If you'd like to play with it, check out

	http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/users/Dan/SoundTest1.xhtml

Caveats:
	Of course it sounds crappy because I'm just using a sawtooth wave to test, and there's no reverb, etc, etc.
	There seems to be some problem with text in firefox that is preventing it from working there
		I've had the basic sound buffer working before in FF
	In Safari it claims to load the Flash failure code, but that does not work yet.
	Don't try glissando (sliding the mouse on the keyboard) - it will pull the keys off your piano!

Next steps:
	Get Stereo and pan working
	Port the basic synthesis kernel from Squeak for polyphony and interesting timbres

If you can get it working in some of the other browsers you'll be my hero.

  - Dan