[lively-kernel] How to add a property to a morph visually

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 18:15:03 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 4:41 AM, Jens Lincke
<jens.lincke at hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:
> Hi, Milan
>
> what Fabian meant was that the "this" in the Object Editor (Scriptor) is
> bound to the object.
> I use this to evaluate parts of methods... for example individual lines of
> the reset methods.
>
> Type "this.foo = [1,2, 3]"

ah I see Thanks Jens - I seem to be let down by small usability issues
.. when I tried to click in the OE earlier, I clicked somewhere in the
pane and started typing, but nothing happened. I see now that I have
to click on the very top of the pane, and start typing, as the text
box is only one line. (I realize this is the same in the any text, but
I got used to it on a one-line texts or if the text is not empty; I
wonder if there is a way for the text field to be more like a
multi-line text area that fills it's owner even if empty...)

> Am 11.02.2012 um 06:52 schrieb Milan Zimmermann: Is
>
> there a way to do it visually, apart from creating the Library
> Application as a Morph extension with the books member?
>

> What I do when I want to have lists in parts I drag a list into that part
> and have it there.
> The actual list is than hold by that list morph and I access it with:
> this.get('ListMorph').getList();
> this.get('ListMorph').setList(["foo", "bar"]);
> etc...
> see http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/documentation/livedoc/Morphic/Widgets/List.xhtml
>
> This is the way we use lists in most of our Tools, e.g. the Script Editor,
> PartsBin etc..

Thanks, all the livedocs are greatly useful - what I meant here
though, was whether there is a way to add a Javascript list object []
(rather than a List Morph) as a non-visual container to a Morph (or
other non-visual object) but do that visually by drag and drop. Sort
of being able to wrap any Javascript object (not just a Morph) into a
"visual representation" such as a tile, and use those tiles to build
other objects, whether they are Morphs or plain objects. But that is
an aside, thanks for everyone's help!

Later,

milan