[lively-kernel] Local installation of Lively Core from Github: some notes, questions, and errors

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 06:18:46 CET 2012

Hi:

This weekend I set to install Lively Core from Github on"localhost" ,
using the instructions on Github, with some tinkering in addition.
Short summary is that the resulting install does sort of work, I can
drag out PartsBin, from there drag out parts etc. There are however
quite a few errors when using it (more below).

A brief summary of my installation steps on localhost (Opensuse 12.1
although that is likely not relevant):
--------------------------------------

	- git clone as instructed ~/LivelyKernel
	- npm install
	- make install_partsbin (at the end of this step I have an
combination of .git and .svn client directories) in ~/LivelyKernel)
	- copied ~/LivelyKernel under Apache /srv/www/htdocs
	- configured Apache for WebDAV to /srv/www/htdocs/LivelyKernel
	- pointed to http://127.0.0.1/LivelyKernel/blank.xhtml
	- the world shows and somewhat works, but  not as good as the online
lively-kernel.org :)

I have some questions (realizing most are related to WebDAV/Git) and errors:

If anyone could help or comment that would be great - thanks

	1) From my previous installation of Lively2, I thought WebDAV
requires an actual SVN repository (svnadmin create repo) to work with
Lively2, but this time the lk.conf seem to indicate it can simply
contain the combination of the .git and .svn directories created
above.  Is that how it is supposed to be configured for webDAV /
Lively to work? Also, is the the combination of .git and .svn client
files an issue, and I wonder which parts of the ~/LivelyKernel are
used by Lively for saving and changes...

	2) How does webwerkstatt create the login (later used to authorize to
save worlds), and is there an equivalent way to set it up for the
localhost install?

	3) did someone reading this tried to install core to share notes

Errors:
-----------

	1) Error on dragging out the cloud from PartsBin (similar errors in
other situations):

Error when trying to update
AttributeConnection(PartsItem(Cloud,PartsSpace(PartsBin/Basic/)).loadedMetaInfo
--> <lively.morphic.Box#E5AB3... -
PartsBinBrowser>.setMetaInfoOfSelectedItem) with value
MetaInfo(PartsBin/Basic/Cloud):
TypeError: Object Thu Nov 03 2011 19:13:58 GMT-0400 (EDT) has no method 'format'
TypeError: Object Thu Nov 03 2011 19:13:58 GMT-0400 (EDT) has no method 'format'
    at eval at <anonymous>
(http://127.0.0.1/LivelyKernel/core/lively/lang/Closure.js?1330401795819:98:29)
    at Array.map (native)
    at Box.commitLogString (eval at <anonymous>
(http://127.0.0.1/LivelyKernel/core/lively/lang/Closure.js?1330401795819:98:29))
    at Box.setMetaInfoOfSelectedItem (eval at <anonymous>
(http://127.0.0.1/LivelyKernel/core/lively/lang/Closure.js?1330401795819:98:29))
    at http://127.0.0.1/LivelyKernel/core/lively/bindings/Core.js?1330401803225:178:19
    at AttributeConnection.update
(http://127.0.0.1/LivelyKernel/core/lively/bindings/Core.js?1330401803225:188:5)
    at PartItem.loadedMetaInfo
(http://127.0.0.1/LivelyKernel/core/lively/bindings/Core.js?1330401803225:246:8)
    at http://127.0.0.1/LivelyKernel/core/lively/bindings/Core.js?1330401803225:179:23
    at AttributeConnection.updater (eval at <anonymous>
(http://127.0.0.1/LivelyKernel/core/lively/lang/Closure.js?1330401795819:98:29))
    at AttributeConnection.update
(http://127.0.0.1/LivelyKernel/core/lively/bindings/Core.js?1330401803225:187:13)

	2) Cannot Save at all / Error on saving blank.xhtml as blank2.xhtml:

	"directory http://127.0.0.1/LivelyKernel does not exist! Create it?"

	on OK:

	Problem saving http://127.0.0.1/LivelyKernel/blank2.xhtml:
#<NetRequestStatus{PUT,http://127.0.0.1/LivelyKernel/blank2.xhtml,403}>