[lively-kernel] Local installation of Lively Core from Github: some notes, questions, and errors

Jens Lincke jens.lincke at hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Feb 28 11:21:35 CET 2012

Hi, Milan -

I did a local Lively Setup the following way. I made some notes, they are Mac specific and might miss some steps.
My basic idea was to have two installations: one clean from git with the code and one in the webwerkstatt wiki style for
playing around with parts and pages.

How to install lively locally on my Mac:

- check out LivelyKernel from github:

cd  /Library/WebServer/
git clone https://github.com/rksm/LivelyKernel.git

- copy https://github.com/rksm/LivelyKernel/blob/master/apache_config/lk_osx.conf
into /etc/apache2/other/

- enable your local web server in the Mac system preferences

- or if you already have, restart apache:

sudo apachectl restart

- /Library/WebServer/Documents/LivelyKernel/

This will give you a bare installaltion of Lively without history and without any Tool Parts.

How to setup a LivelyWiki

- For Lively Wiki functionality as in WebWerkstatt we need apache to serve us an svn repository.
So we have to create one:

sudo mkdir /Library/WebServer/repositories
sudo svnadmin create  /Library/WebServer/repositories/LivelyWiki

- Allow the webserver to read and write the repositories:

sudo chown -R _www:_www  /Library/WebServer/repositories/LivelyWiki

- add /etc/apache2/other/livelywiki_osx.conf:

<IfModule !dav_module>
        LoadModule dav_module libexec/apache2/mod_dav.so
</IfModule>

<IfModule !dav_svn_module>
        LoadModule dav_svn_module libexec/apache2/mod_dav_svn.so
</IfModule>

Redirect /LivelyWiki/core/ /LivelyKernel/core/

# change this to wherever your svn repo is
<Location /LivelyWiki>
    DAV svn
    SVNPath /Library/WebServer/repositories/LivelyWiki
    SVNAutoVersioning on
    ModMimeUsePathInfo on
    Order Deny,Allow
    Allow from All
    SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
    DavDepthInfinity on
</Location>

#EOF

This gives you two repositories:

a) http://localhost/LivelyKernel/ -> WebDAV served plain git
b) http://localhost/LivelyWiki/ -> SVN DAV Lively wiki with auto commit history

if we copy a blank.xhtml from (a) into (b)i we can start working in (b) because all the .js files are loaded from  (a)

I then bootstrapped the parts using a part from WebWerkstatt:

        var oldRootPath = Config.rootPath
        try {
            Config.rootPath = 'http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/'
            this.openPartItem("BootstrapParts", "PartsBin/Tools")
        } finally {
            Config.rootPath = oldRootPath
        }

I tried to figure out a way how I can upload parts / changes made on my localhost machine to webwerkstatt using the proxy,
but I failed because digest authentication can not be proxied with our URL rewriting approach and I will have to use node.js for this.

Best,
Jens