[lively-kernel] Local installation of Lively Core from Github: some notes, questions, and errors

Jens Lincke jens.lincke at hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Feb 28 21:09:57 CET 2012

Hi Milan,

I think all your assumptions are correct:

Am 28.02.2012 um 20:57 schrieb Milan Zimmermann:

> Hi Jens:
>
> Thanks for your notes. Part of my confusion is the difference between
> LivelyKernel and Webwerkstatt - I have so far only used "the whole
> package" on lively-kernel.org so I am not sure where one starts and
> ends....
Lively Webwerkstatt is one instance of a Lively Wiki, where the main Lively Kernel 2
development took place. It contains the JavaScript files based core, some additonal modules
distributed in apps, projects, and the user directories. There are also some private pages for example
the "hpi" directory. It then contains the PartsBin. Some of the categories can be considered Core, because
they make up a lot of Lively Kernel functionality such as the PartsBin and the ScriptEditor. But they are
not managed and distributed by the git Lively Kernel project. And there are Lively pages, which contain
mainly content. The core contains only the blank.xhtml page, because one page is needed to start working.

> I want to make over my installation based on your comments, but let me
> make a summary if I am getting your process right:
>
> a) Just installing the LivelyKernel files from Github under proper
> apache directory  (as files - is WebDAV needed for this?) gives us
> LivelyKernel functionality, correct? [subquestion that I can answer by
> experimenting - what is the LivelyKernel functionality?]
More or less, it gives you the core of Lively but you don't have the parts based
tools...

> b) To add the functionality of PartsBin, ability to save and version,
> I need to also create a "real" svn repository (svnadmin create) under
> Apache and attach WebDAV to it. From your notes it seems you created
> an empty svn repository, and then, just copied the blank.xhtlm from
> a), to b) and then you used the "bootstrap" process to populate the
> svn repository with things like PartsBin etc. Is this correct so far?
> If correct, at the end of this process, should the functionality be
> expected to be equivalent to what I experience by opening a world at
> lively-kernel such as
> http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/users/mzimmerm/start.xhtml
> ?

I think so, if something is missing please write here...

Thanks for trying out.

Best,
Jens