[lively-kernel] Looking to pare down LK

Robert Krahn robert.krahn at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 02:57:03 CEST 2014

Hi, Dave --

For one part you can remote develop web pages in an iFrame, like I outlined
it with the slider page in this video:
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGBIfB3_AYU#t=98

Another option is to connect to the JS runtime of existing webpages via
Lively2Lively:
  http://lively-web.org/users/robertkrahn/lively-2-webpage.html

Using Lively as an IDE for other environments is also possible since we
provide a shell integration for starting and controlling OS processes and
various language hookups, e.g. to evaluate Python, R or Clojure code.
However, this might not be relevant for your project.

In terms of library support: I prepared a small compat library that allows
to load Lively scripts and modules on any webpage.
An example is running here:
  http://lively-web.org/users/robertkrahn/just-the-core/example.html

Basically, just
http://lively-web.org/users/robertkrahn/just-the-core/pre-lively.js (the
compat script) is needed and then you can add whatever Lively modules and
scripts you need. The the HTML source code of the example.html file.

Side note: We currently extracting the Lively independent JS language
additions into https://github.com/LivelyKernel/js-lib.

Best,
Robert