[General] Re Batik/Rhino hangs on Chrome on a Mac

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at Sun.com
Tue Jan 5 07:10:44 CET 2010

Chris Cunnington <brasspen at gmail.com>  wrote...

>OK, this is interesting.
>
>I downloaded the latest Java stuff into my Mac using Software Update.
>I then opened up all three browsers - Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
>In the first two this exercise is a total fail. In Safari it took me seven minutes for the clock to appear the first time and six minutes the second time. That's better than half an hour.

For me it's 2-3 times slower (dual core 2.4GHz)

>And It takes half the time for me, a mere 5 seconds, to load anonymous_module_0. That's half the time of yours, but I don't see the point of this metric, if the whole process takes six minutes.
>
>I like this investigation, and I'm learning things here. But I don't see the point of running LK in an applet.

The one, the only reason to my thinking, is to get LK running in Internet Explorer.
If we had a practical (this is not yet) version of LK running in Internet Explorer
(and other places like Opera, etc),
we would have a much better story for real adoption.
What Peter has done is great, and it would be wonderful to be able to show all
the LK demos in IE.  More to the point, people could then start publishing
real web content in LK knowing that everyone could see it.

There are a couple of other paths to this same goal.

One is the Renesis SVG plugin that runs in IE.  We got that *almost* working a year
ago, but there are difficulties with JavaScript compatibility as well.

In my opinion, the most promising approach at this point is to use Google's O3D
plugin with the canvas version of LK.  This has the sterling side-effect of bringing
along the V8 JS engine as well.  It also has the enticing side-effect of leaving
real 3-D just a few function calls away, once it is running.

Anyone feel like trying this?  I feel bad that I haven't already, but I'm distracted right now.

>And "scratch is running" (at @200648) What is that? I've been looking at Scratch, the Squeak app for kids today, so is that it? Or is it some Java thing?
>... actually, I looked at the error log in my locally deployed LK, and it references an attempt to download a file called Scratch.js. There is no such file in the downloaded source files. But, in index.xhtml there is an attempt to load a file called that. I guess it ignores the fact that it can't find it.

No connection to Scratch the Squeak app.  Scratch.js is just a file name we
use for simple experiments -- if it's there it will be loaded; if not it will be ignored.

>Naw, that can't be it. How can "scratch be running" if there is no scratch file in the source code to run?

Dunno about the "is running" message.

	- Dan