[lively-kernel] Lively IDE Mockups

Dan Ingalls danhhingalls at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 01:20:55 CEST 2010

Hi, Phil -

Although I haven't said a word until now, it's only because I was
travelling and am still juggling a bunch of different
responsibilities.

	I really like what you did.

I've been trying to juggle the notions of worlds and menus and
palettes for the many possible modes of use of  lively, and I think
that tab-based palette panels are ideal.  Integrating this with
browsing is also very cool.

I made a run at common code for windows and tabs at one point, which
should reduce the work to merely making palettes work with windows,
except it appears that code didn't make it through one of the windows
updates.  My theory was that tabbed panels are exactly like windows
from the standpoint of the content, and the only real difference is
in the behavior of the two kinds of tabs.  If I get some time, I'll
get this part working again.

The other thought I had, which I've voiced here before, is that we
need to make it a primary goal to have Lively be the vehicle of
choice for us to do such mockups and presentations.  It was this
commitment that made Squeak into the wonderful media tool that it is.
Furthermore, it's just not that hard.  If we just had 3 or 4 of us
working on it for a month I think we could reach a major plateau.

So I guess this could be a companion message to yours -- folks who
want a no-coding project could help you out, and those who want some
simple (*) coding projects could help make Lively into a better
composition environment.

And let's not forget the real challenge:
     - to be able to build Phil's vision faster in LK than to mock it
up elsewhere ;-)

	- Dan

(*) truly these are simple tweaks for the most part -- nothing like
getting WebDAV or SVG working.  If someone doesn't beat me to it,
I'll post a starting task list in the next few days