[lively-kernel] Perf Profiling

Dan Ingalls danhhingalls at gmail.com
Tue May 4 00:20:38 CEST 2010

Hello Casey -

>Are there any tools available for performance profiling? It takes a
>few seconds to move a window on the device I'm interested in
>experimenting with, and I'm wondering where those seconds are going.
>
>Also, are there any configuration options that might affect/improve
>performance when running on top of Mobile Safari?

I assume you are interested in an iPhone or iPad.  So am I, and I hope to have some reasonable adaptation of the touch events available soon.  The JS performance is a bit sad.

Using my benchmark page, http://weather-dimensions.com/Dan/JavaScriptBenchmark.html

On my 2-year old Mac Powerbook (2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo) I get
	815M simple ops/sec
	33M sends/sec

On the iPad I get
	28M simple ops/sec
	0.8M sends/sec

On my iPhone I get
	19M simple ops/sec
	0.4M sends/sec

Methinks they have some work to do on code generation for the Arm, or else some other optimizations.  I would expect maybe 5x or 10x slower on the iPad, but 30x-40x?  Come on.

I hope this isn't a conspiracy to ensure that Lively Apps can't compete :-(.

Let's ask around...  ;-)

	- Dan

PS:  re profiling:  My JS scheme is very cool, since it is independent of browser support, however I think that the FF and Safari tools are now easier to use and will probably serve you better.

They do still have value (I need to write this up) because they are editable, and can be used, eg, for tracing, or marking all procedures that have run (or not run), etc, etc.