[lively-kernel] Local installation of Lively Core from Github: some notes, questions, and errors

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 16:47:11 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Conrad Calmez
<conrad.calmez at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> today I sat down and had a look at the installation process of Lively
> Kernel on Debian and Mac OS X.
> I reworked the installation notes and the Apache configurations for
> Linux.  I also added the Apache cofiguration (as well as the
> corresponding description) to my GitHub fork for the LivelyKernel
> repository.
> I just saw that the markdown is not perfect, but it is still readable.
> I created a pull request to get my changes in
> https://github.com/rksm/LivelyKernel.
>
> @Milan: If you want to have a look at that go to
> https://github.com/calmez/LivelyKernel  (esp. INSTALL.md)
> (I am really sorry, that I am maybe too late with my help)

Hi Conrad:

This is great, thanks, I will not have time to get back to it fully
until weekend anyway, any notes and experience help. I started to
script the whole installation process in a shell script which is
slowing me down, repeatability is good but it is slow to achieve and
the process hurts...

To all:

I have a general question: If I decide to keep PartsBin in an actual
SVN repo for versioning: Let's say I first bootstrap PartsBin using
the script that uses

   Config.rootPath = 'http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/'
   $world.openPartItem("BootstrapParts", "PartsBin/Tools")

Then, let's say I work for a while. save some things locally, etc,
then decide to get PartsBin *updates* from
http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/ again.

Is there a way to do that that anyone here uses? [I think it was
answered as negative, but wanted to check, thanks.  (At the same time
it can  likely be done by merging from  a read-only mirror master or
similar but surely must be a pain). Apart from that, is there perhaps
a plan to base the wiki versioning on Git rather then SVN?]

thanks
milan