[lively-kernel] Lively Kernel as plugin without requiring afull webbrowser?

Antero Taivalsaari antero.taivalsaari at tut.fi
Sat Sep 4 13:05:03 CEST 2010

Somewhat related to this topic:

http://livelygoes3d.blogspot.com/

Another comment:

Philip Weaver wrote:
> When Lively was at Sun one of the first implementations
> I think was not browser-based. But that was probably in
> 2007 and Dan, Robert, or Jens can probably better answer this.

That is correct.  The first version of Lively (then known as "Flair"
or "ScriptBrowser" was implemented on top of the SpiderMonkey
JavaScript VM and ran on Windows and Nokia 770/800/810 web tablets.
There's a summary of the ScriptBrowser work in this technical report:

http://research.sun.com/techrep/2008/abstract-177.html

This was a very different beast compared to the Rhino-based
(and later SVG-based) LK implementation that was started a bit later.

-- Antero